Tuesday, October 25, 2011

1 Byte = 8 bits

Upon seeing the 12MB/sec transfer rate I was able to do a quick calculation

12MB/sec x 8bits/Byte = 96Mbits/sec

At this point I realized that I was being limited by my network. (100Mb). Notice the small b for bits. Not bytes (big B). I checked out my specs on my motherboard just to be sure:

According to the User's Manual, the PCI bus is cabable of 133MB/sec, and the IDE channels support 100MB/sec. My Intel Pro 10/100 is only capable of 100Mb/sec (or 12.5MB/sec.)

That being said, I decided to upgrade to gigabit ethernet (or 1000Mb/sec, or 125MB/sec) and purchased these items:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166017
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132013

Later I realized that I needed to upgrade my switch, another network adapter on another computer, as well as add some cables and purchased these:

Two switches
Gigabit Network Interface Card (PCI)
Cables

I needed two switches so that I have a direct gigabit route from one PC to the next. In other words, previously I had just used the built in switch on my router (which is provided by my internet provider, and I can't change it because I get TV over IP through it too...) But since the router is only capable of 100Mb/sec in order to not bottle-neck my network through the router, I needed a gigabit switch right next to it. Then when say my pc talks to my FreeNAS, it doesn't need to go through the router just my PC to a switch at my desk, to the switch near the router, to the FreeNAS. As opposed to my PC to a switch, to the slow router/switch, to my FreeNAS. Then the internet/router plugs into the switch near it. Super easy.

Another note, the Roswill RC400-EX and the Startech ST1000BT32, were exactly the same (other than the quality control sticker on them.) They're both based on the Realtek RTL8110SC chipset. So get the cheaper one. They're the same.

As I purchased these, I was careful: I searched the reviews of these items to ensure they worked with FreeNAS. And it seemed there were plenty of people doing what I was doing and left reviews verifying that these network cards work with FreeNAS without much effort. Awesome.

But for some reason, I wasn't so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment