Monday, November 14, 2011

When it rains in Thailand...

As part of my NAS project, I was intending to get it working before investing in filling it full of hard-drives (since they would be the single most expensive part of making it a reality.)

Two months ago when I was pricing out hard drives, I had found a Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB drive for about $70 bucks. I was thinking of buying two of them. But I thought with Christmas on the horizon, it would be a good thing to ask for as a gift.

I recently went to see how the prices were going into Black Friday. Much to my surprise, the same drive is currently running $250 on Newegg! More than 3 times what it was two months ago. I couldn't believe it.

At first, I thought it was an artificial price increase to give an appearance of a sale during the holiday season. However, a friend of mine pointed me to this article:


Awesome. Now I have to wait 6-12 months. Maybe Christmas next year.

By the way, the graph was produced at camelcamelcamel.com.  It's pretty sweet.  All you have to do is paste a link from any product on Amazon.com and it will give you the price history.  Happy shopping.


No comments:

Post a Comment