Monday, February 27, 2012

Battered Woman Syndrome

In trying to procure a replacement sound card for my Windows 7 machine, I didn't have a lot of requirements.  Other than it should be as good as or better than my Audigy, it should be inexpensive, it should have a pcie interface, and preferably NOT a creative card.

 But when a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium showed up in the refurbished section of Newegg, and with a promotion code for 20% off putting it at $36...I couldn't pass it up.  Despite being a Creative Product.
I get to keep most of the features and specifications that my Audigy had (although apparently you cannot get a sound card with DTS and DD hardware decoders anymore...some law somewhere that it must be done with software, although I didn't honestly spend enough time to verify this claim.)  I eventually decided I wanted to connect my HD front audtio, and my 5.1 analog speakers to the card.  This does that.  It also supports EAX and positional audio for gaming.  So it had what I wanted, familiar (for better or worse) softwares, and for $36 bucks, I'd let Creative beat me again.

The only thing I need now is this in order to plug my Sennheiser HD555 headphones into my computers.  (Since I don't have a 1/4" jack anymore...)

No comments:

Post a Comment