Wednesday, February 13, 2013

How I chose to cut my cable - Part 3: Decision Matrix

In searching for the perfect solution, I came across this great resource.  It let me filter a wide field of competitors and narrow it down based on my requirements.

There were none.

A Boxee Box came close.  However, you couldn't customize the streaming experience like you could on a Roku.  It came with a fixed set of popular streaming services (Netflix, Vudu, YouTube) but that was it.  Furthermore, the Boxee box had undergone a revision between the publishing of that matrix and when I was looking for a box to replace my cable TV service.  The new boxee touts itself as the first cloud DVR (for a $9.99 a month fee in limited areas - not available where I live).  Essentially, instead of recording your over-the-air (OTA from here on out) on a local hard drive, you upload it to a boxee server.  I suppose on the plus side you don't have to ever worry about running out of space.  And you could watch your shows from anywhere.  However, while I have a screaming download speed, my upload is S-L-O-W.  How long would it take to upload a 5 gigabyte 1 hour HD program at 1 Mb/s?  And I really didn't want to bump into my ISP data limit and get charged again for my DVR habit.  It just didn't seem worth it to me when a one time cost of $50 for a local hard drive would suffice.

The other option was a Tivo.  But that was quickly ruled out due to 3 factors:  1) to avoid the subscription service you can buy one for $500.  It was more than I wanted to spend.  2)  It has limited customization of the streaming experience, and 3)  I can't put my own movies (mkv's) on the thing and play them back.  But you could easily combine a Roku and a Tivo to accomplish my goals.  In fact, in polling some friends of mine, one of them highly recommended a Tivo combined with a Roku.  I suppose that could have got us what we wanted...but again, I wanted to avoid any subscriptions, and $600 seemed like quite a bit to drop.

I soon realized I'd have to do something else to get what I wanted.  But it involved building my own system.

No comments:

Post a Comment